Witherspoons Ferry

The City of Johnsonville has rededicated a historic marker at Witherspoon’s Ferry, where Francis Marion took command of the Williamsburg militia in 1780. The original marker, placed in 1979 by the Three Rivers Historical Society, had become damaged. Lawrence Eaddy and his family led the replacement effort in honor of their mother, the former chairperson of the organization. Mayor Keith Callicutt led the ceremony, with remarks from Dr. William Bolt of @Francis Marion University. The town’s administrator, Holly Swann, championed the SC250 grant application for the project, which is part of the ongoing development of Odell Venters Landing.

Up Next

Rebecca Brewton Motte

Rebecca Brewton Motte was raised in privilege and inherited vast wealth... Read More

Buford’s Massacre

The Battle of Waxhaws occurred on May 29th, 1780, involving British... Read More

Skirmish at Mobley’s Meetinghouse (Gibson’s Block House)

In May of 1780, Patriot militia Capt. John McClure allied with... Read More

Peter Harris

Peter Harris, a Catawba Native American, served in the Continental Army... Read More

Murder at Ninety Six

On June 15, 1776, Capt. William Ritche discovered that William Cunningham,... Read More